The blood supply in Maryland is critically low. Please drink lots of fluids, get your haemoglobin going, and give ...
Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department and Lions Club Blood Drive
Thursday August 31st 2006
Takoma Park Municipal Building 7500 Maple Avenue
Go to the Greater Chesapeake and Potomac Region - American Red Cross and enter Drive Code 8243 to schedule your appointment ( or just come)
All participants will receive a special Salute Your Local Heroes T-shirt.
Primary: September 12, 2006
General Election: : November 7, 2006
Where do you vote?
You must be registered by 9 PM August 22 to vote in the primaries.
Candidates: (The web sites are only the ones we found easily with a cursory search. We will add others as we locate them.)
Montgomery County Council District 5
Valery Ervin (D)
Hans Riemer (D)
Montgomery County Council At Large
Tufail Ahmad (D)
Hugh Bailey (D)
Marc Elrich (D)
Reggie Felton (D)
Nancy Floreen (D)(I)
Amber Gnemi (R)
Joseph P. Horgan (Green)
Bill Jacobs (D)
Cary Lamari (D)
George Leventhal (D)(I)
Robert Bo Newsome (D)
Janice L. Norman (unaffiliated)
Adol T. Owen-Williams II (R)
Donell Peterman (D)
Bette Dale Petrides (D)
Shelly Skolnick (R)
Michael L. Subin (D)(I)
Duchy Trachtenberg (D)
State Senate, District 20
Ida Rubin (D)(I)
Jamie Raskin (I)
Governor and Lieutenant Governor
Bob Ehrlich (R)(I) & Kristen Cox (R)
Martin O'Malley (D) & Anthony Brown (D)
Ed Boyd (Green) & James Joseph Madigan (Green)
Chris Driscoll (Populist) & Ed Rothstein (Populist)
Senator (Senator Sarbanes is not running for reelection)
Ben Cardin (D)
David Dickerson (D)
George English (D)
James Hutchinson (D)
Anthony Jaworski (D)
A. Robert Kaufman (D)
Allan Lichtman (D)
Thomas McCaskill (D)
Kweisi Mfume (D)
Josh Rales (D)
Dennis Rasmussen (D)
Bob Robinson (D)
Theresa Scaldaferri (D)
Mike Schaefer (D)
Charles Smith (D)
Blaine Taylor (D)
James Werner Jr. (D)
Lih Young (D)
Ray Bly (R)
Earl Gordon (R)
Tom Hampton (R)
John Kimble (R)
Edward Madej (R)
Dan Muffoletto (R)
Richard Shawver (R)
Michael Steele (R)
Corrogan Vaughn (R)
Daniel "Wig Man" Vovak (R)
Kevin Zeese (Green)
The library, and most City offices, will be closed Friday, August 18th.
Last week we had this reference question: do mosquito repellent bracelets work?
Check with your pediatrician to see what he/she recommends.
Then, if you want to check the literature, the key publication was
Fradin, Mark, M.D., Day, John, M.D. (2002) Comparative Efficacy of Insect Repellents Against Mosquito Bites. (The New England Journal of Medicine, volume 347: 13-18). Don't like footnotes? You can read a synopsis of the results and note what the paper says about bracelets (that they don't work even when they contain an ingredient, Deet, that is effective when used in a spray, towelette or lotion).
Then please look at this chart listing the relative effectiveness of various mosquito repellents, references at the bottom. (This pdf version of the chart is from the Davis County, Utah government site but the data is derived largely from the original Fraden charts.)
Last year BoingBoing had an interesting post about the wording advertisers can, and can't, use.
1. Deet is a plasticizer and will destroy certain plastics and synthetic fabrics so be careful where you spray or rub it it.
2. Zappers aren't very effective, at least against mosquitoes. They kill moths. You can research that one yourself.
This information is in Fradden's Table 1, but is hard to read in the original.
1. Off! Deep Woods (SC Johnson) 200-360
2. Sawyer Controlled Release 180-325
3. Off! Skintastic (SC Johnson) 90-170
4. Bite-Blocker for Kids (HOMS) 16-195
5. Off! Skintastic for Kids (SC Johnson) 45-120
6. Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus (Avon) 10-60
7. Nurapel (Tender) 7-60
8. Herbal Armor microencapsulated 1-55
9. Green Ban for People (Mulgum Hollow Farm) 1-45
10. Buzz Away (Quantum) 5-30
11. Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard (Avon) 1-30
12. Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil (Avon) 1-30
13. Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing Suncare (Avon) 1-15
14. Gone Original Wristband (Solar Gloooow) .017-1.33
15. Repello Wristband (Repello Products) .017-0.63
16. Gone Plus Repelling Wristband (Solar Gloooow).017-.048