The legitimate and appropriate use of the Library and its materials is intended to be
available to all. No one has the right to interfere with anyone else's right to use the
- The Library must be a quiet place in order to serve its patrons best.
- The Library does not provide child care. No child should be sent to the Library without an
alternative place to go.
- The Library is independent of any particular school or school system. The Library will
provide for informational needs related to school assignments but cannot provide a place for
discussion of school work.
- Private tutoring and business meetings which require people to talk together are not
appropriate uses of the Library, which has no meeting rooms.
In order to provide a quiet and safe place for study and reading, the following guidelines
need to be met. Those not willing to meet guidelines will be asked to leave.
- All persons in the Library should treat each other with courtesy and respect. Disruptive
behavior, rude and abusive language, swearing, and obscenities are absolutely forbidden in
the Library, including entrances and exits. Entrances may not be obstructed by loitering.
- The use of the Children's Room is reserved for children up through 8th grade, parents or
caregivers, and those teachers and adults who need to use the collection. High school
students and other adults are asked to use the adult reading room.
- The adult reading room and reference area need to be quiet. Please, no conversation in these areas, with only four to a table, one to a carrel. Whispering will be allowed in the Children's Room, but running, climbing, and playing are not appropriate Library activities.
- In compliance with Maryland law, children in the Library under the age of 8 must be accompanied by a responsible caregiver 13 or older. Young children may not be left unattended in the Children's Room while the caregiver is elsewhere in the Library
- Food and drink, including water, are not permitted and may be confiscated at the discretion of the Librarian in charge.
- Sleeping in the Library is reserved for infants.
- Bookbags and other personal possessions must not obstruct free access to the book shelves and the aisles. Belongings should adhere to the size allowed as airline carry-on luggage with the exception of baby strollers.
- Unattended bags may not be left in the Library. The Library staff cannot be responsible for unattended property.
COMPUTER USE POLICY