Our Twitter feed
includes snippets from our blogs, the occasional reference or catalog question from the circulation desk, curious bits of information from reference librarians elsewhere.
We have an extensive collection of reference sources in print, including many beautiful, new, just-plain-fun-to-read, multi-volume sets. They fill an entire room. Please come in and browse.
Remember: the content of these books is copyrighted, and for most you will not find any equivalent on the web.
Professionally produced, copyrighted and fact-checked.
MAGAZINES, NEWSPAPERS AND JOURNALS
ISSUES AND CONTROVERSIES
eLibrary newspaper articles (including back issues of the Washington Post), magazines, journals and reference books, full text, no charge
National Geographic 1888-Present
- List of magazines available in print in the library. (annotated with links if they are also available full text in eLibrary)
DICTIONARIES AND GENERAL ENCYCLOPEDIAS
Current Issues and Controversies, produced by Facts on File, background information for many current points of debate.
REFERENCE | TRAVEL | HOW-TO
- Oxford Dictionaries Pro Large English dictionary, thesaurus, writer's tools, Spanish, French, German, Italian dictionaries. Click "log in" which is in the upper right corner, then look down the right column for the place to enter your library card number.
- The great OED Click "sign in" which is in the upper right corner. This will bring up a popup with a place for your library card number.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Britannica editions in French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese and Chinese
- World Book Info Finder
COLLEGE AND CAREER
- Several hundred Volumes from major publishers. Includes Eyewitness travel guides and "For Dummies" instruction books. Each article, or chapter, can be downloaded as either text or mp3 and you can download many articles in a single session.
- Oxford Reference Hundred of classic reference books. Look down the left for "log in with your library card", click on >, put in your library card number.
- Many additional reference books can be found in our
eLibrary digital collections.
Career Guidance Center
college planning and financial aid, internships, apprenticeships and summer jobs, solid, reliable information on résumé preparation, cover letters and interviews.
Testing and Education Resource Center materials to help you study for well over 60 exams required for secondary schools, college admission, graduate schools, the military, or a variety of jobs
Health Reference Center
from Facts on File. Check out the extra features on citation, plagerism, and how to use primary as well as secondary documents.
Issues & Controversies in American History
African American History
American Indian History
World News Digest 1940-present. Day by day, year by year, history through news stories.
Mango and Little Pim for practicing over 50 languages, as well as encyclopedias in Spanish, French, Korean, Japanese and Chinese.
Image Quest copyright is cleared if you are using the images for educational purposes.
World Book Online for Kids (elementary school)
World Book Discover (middle school)
Britannica for Kids a set of two encyclopedias
Smart Math practice your math skills
Universalis Junior French encyclopedia for students
Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos Spanish encyclopedia for students
Global Resource Center includes Escolar Online
National Geographic for Kids both books and magazines
The Gale reference collection includes the DK Eyewitness reference books for children
The Early Learning Center at World Book (for very young children)
e-Books for Children The resources for elemantary-age children include non-fiction as well as fiction and can be useful for research papers