Outside the library, at 101 Philadelphia Avenue, a giant bin awaits your October nut collections.
1. Each bag should contain nuts from a single tree. Please don't mix them.
2. Don't take all the nuts from under a tree - the animals need them too.
3. Put in one leaf to help identify the tree.
4. Bags should be paper, not plastic.
5. Tags are available near the bin, but you will need a staple or something if you can't tie on the string.
What happens to your nuts? State nurseries will grow seedlings and then plant them out along stream banks .
Growing Native (the sponsoring program)
The trees they want
What tree is it? A great key-type guide from the Ohio Division of Forestry
Virginia Tech tree fact sheets
Their list of Maryland trees
Of course you can pop into the library and check out one of our many tree books. We have lots, both in the J room and the adult collections. Most are in 582 or are nearby. (We also have a stapler and pens.)