Although the library is now open for browsing and checkouts, you can continue to use our curbside service if you prefer.
Here are the basics for a request by email:
- Address: Email email@example.com to start your request.
- Subject line: Include your name and the last 4 digits of your library card number (or your birthdate). If you need home delivery, add the word DELIVERY.
- Email body: Check the catalog here (https://takoma.bywatersolutions.com/) and tell us which books you would like. Please include the title and call number for each book. Examples: Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger - call number FIC SALINGER, or Birds of Eastern North America, by Paul Sterry - call number 598.097 STERRY.
- The Process: Once you have listed everything, hit "send." We will reply when we have filled your request, and let you know when you may pick up your books.
- Next time: Future requests will need a new subject. Please do not reply to the prior request. This makes it easier for us to keep track.
You can also request books by phone:
- Phone Number: Please call: 301-891-7259 during library open hours.
- Your Information: We will ask you for your name and the last four digits of your Library card number or the month and day of your birthday.
- Book Information: When you give us the titles of the books you want, please give us the author and call number as well (if you are using the catalog)
And please note:
- Pick-Up: Call 301-891-7259 when you arrive. After 7 days uncollected bags are emptied and the books checked in.
- Limits: Patrons are limited to 10 books per order. One order per account per day.
- Catalog: Before requesting books please check our catalog to see if we have them. If all copies are checked out, you can place a hold. Please look at the actual book record, not just the list of search results.
- Renewals: Books and magazines are automatically renewed if another library member is not waiting for them. So you need to keep an eye on the due dates in your account. Log in here.
- Overdue Items: To check out books, all overdue items on your library card first must be returned.
- Problems: If you are having problems with your library account, need a card replacement or renewal, or need us to validate a new card, come into the library or register here.
- Returns: The book drop is always open.